To secure your place, pay your enrollment deposit today.
Welcome to Hampden-Sydney College! We look forward to your arrival on The Hill this August! We will guide you with information to prepare you for academic opportunities, residence life, and academic scheduling, every step of the way.
A Note About Covid-19
While we recognize the ongoing risk that COVID-19 continues to present across the United States, here are a few of the factors unique to Hampden-Sydney that allow us to provide our students with the best opportunity to live and learn in a safe environment on campus this fall.
- Location. Our rural location in the Heart of Virginia enables us to educate our young men in a setting removed from the hustle and bustle of larger communities, and gives us confidence as we plan for a safe resumption of on-campus life in the fall.
- A lot of real estate and a small population. Our 1,330 acre campus provides more than an acre per student on which to socially distance! Seriously, with small classes and a large campus, it will be easier for us to manage the social distancing that will be required to have students back on college campuses.
- New student residences create timely flex space elsewhere on campus. A new residential complex will open this fall, allowing us a unique opportunity to have additional housing available if needed to quarantine students who develop symptoms or who need to be isolated based on their contact with someone known to have contracted the coronavirus.
- Flexibility and individual attention in teaching. Hampden-Sydney has always offered a personal approach to teaching. Our professors are used to working closely with students who become ill or who fall behind in their coursework, helping them to stay on track and successfully complete their classes. This is an ongoing commitment to our students.
- Medical staff, equipment, supplies, and testing. Showcasing the success and generosity of our powerful alumni brotherhood, an alumnus and trustee who owns a biotech firm that conducts biological surface testing for the coronavirus has offered to help us with ongoing monitoring and early detection of the virus on campus. We are also prepared to expand the services of our medical doctor and are procuring PPE and other supplies for our professional medical staff to use in assisting students and to support additional healthcare needs next year. Our staff continues to receive and follow guidance from the Virginia Department of Health and CDC as circumstances and best practices change.
These are just some of the advantages that will help us be positioned for a safe opening in the fall. We are working closely with state and local governments as we prepare to provide a safe environment in which to live, learn, and work. If you are concerned about the effects of the coronavirus on the large or urban campus that you may have chosen, or if you are looking for an campus-based personalized learning experience, then I hope you will consider the advantages our small, rural, idyllic college campus can offer.
Following Governor Northam’s release of the Commonwealth’s guidelines for the reopening of Virginia’s colleges and universities, Hampden-Sydney College has submitted an expansive campus reopening plan to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). Created by the College’s Critical Incident Management Team and the College’s senior staff, the plan is currently being reviewed by SCHEV. We will keep it updated as we monitor the situation and receive additional guidance from the Commonwealth, the Department of Health, and the Centers for Disease Control.All H-SC COVID-19 Information
Join and Follow
- Hampden-Sydney College Official Facebook
- Hampden-Sydney College Official Instagram
- Hampden-Sydney College Official Twitter
- Join Handshake
- Follow the Campus Events Calendar
Parents Stay Informed
- Visit the Parents web page to stay up-to-date about what's going on at the College throughout the year.
- Follow Hampden-Sydney College's official Facebook Page to see what's happening on The Hill.
Please visit the H-SC Post Office page to find out where to send mail and packages.
More detailed information about life at H-SC can also be found in our primary publications:
- For information regarding the academic program, including academic requirements, academic programs, and course listings, please see the Academic Catalogue.
- For information regarding student life, including student clubs and activities and the student justice system, please see our student handbook, the Key. All students will receive a copy of the the Key upon matriculation.
- A broad overview of student life is available on the H-SC Student Life website.
- More detailed online information, including quick links to TigerWeb, Directories, and email can be found on the Student Resources and Current Students page.
Virtual Map Tour
Explore the virtual campus map to get familiar with our beautiful campus before you arrive this fall.Explore the Virtual Map