A Tried and True Checklist
Before you arrive, please be sure to check with your roommate about sharing items.
What is already provided in your room:
- Extra long twin bed - 36" x 80" (Pillows > not provided)
- Desk and Desk Chair
- Closet or Wardrobe
- Tile Floors
- Venetian blinds
- Heating and Air Conditioning
- Basic cable and Ethernet jacks (Wi-Fi also present in all rooms)
- Students who do not have a cell phone may request a landline phone for their room.
- Note: No college furniture may be removed from your room at any time
Room Furnishings, Room Care and Appliances:
Bedding, Pillows, Linens (XL twin 36x80"), Mattress cover/topper (optional)
Coordinate with roommate:
Microwave (UL listed; up to 1000 watts)
Refrigerator (UL listed; up to 4.3 cubic feet)
Vacuum cleaner/floor sweeper
Area rug, floor lamp (Halogen lamps are not permitted)
Cleaning supplies/dish soap/sponges, air freshener
Kitchen items (cups, silverware, paper towels, can opener)
A small set of tools (screwdrivers, wrench, hammer, pliers, tape measure, Command hangers)
Storage containers/crates for extra storage
Flashlight & Batteries
Coordinate with roommate:
TV, DVD/Blu-Ray/Network Player
Surge protectors (built-in 15 amp circuit breaker required)
Personal Care and Clothing:
Coat and Tie
Toiletries, Shower shoes, bath tote
Towels, Wash Cloths
Iron/ironing board; clothes hangers, sewing kit
Laundry Basket/bag & Detergent/Fabric Softener
Raincoat and Umbrella
Small First Aid Kit
Academic Supplies (also available at our Campus Store)
Bicycle and bicycle lock
Please leave these at home:
X Extension cords, cube adapters, or multi-prong cords
X Candles, curtains or window treatments
X Electric grills (George Foreman etc.)
X Electric or gas heaters
X Hot Plates or Toaster Ovens
X Lofts or waterbeds
X Paintball/BB Guns/Airsoft guns
X Dart Boards
X Inflatable Pools
Things To Know:
- Resident Advisors and other student leaders will help you unload your car and move into your room.
- The College Business Office will cash checks for you. (Limited to $300.00).
- Posters, flags, banners etc. must be behind glass or Plexiglas, in such a manner that no part of the item can be exposed to open flame. You can not put holes in the walls in order to hang up posters.
- Washers and dryers are available to students and are located in three freshman locations free of charge. (Basements of Carp Z, East House, and West House).
- There is basic cable hookup in each room. For information call the Computing Center Help Desk - (434) 223-6373.
- Whitehouse Colonnades (NC/SC/WC) rooms consist of suites with a shared bathroom.
- Whitehouse Houses (NH,EH,SH,WH), Cushing and Carpenter buildings have common bathrooms on the hall.
- Use of tobacco products is prohibited in student living areas.
- Please refer to the student handbook The Key for more information.