Have a novel idea or exciting business concept? Apply to compete in the Tiger's Den and win a Hampden-Sydney Venture Fund investment of up to $15,000.
To provide a structured incubator experience for nascent founder who will have a shot at earning working capital to start-up ventures that have launched or are close to launch. The pitch competition offers student from all over the college a chance to share their ideas and business progress regardless of participation in the incubator.
Must be enrolled Hampden-Sydney students and alumni classes 2016-2020. For-profit business models only.
The decisions whether to make any investments and the amounts of those investments will be at the discretion of the judges. If awarded, investment(s) may range from $1,000 to $15,000.
- July 1, 6pm EDT: Online Information Session. Register now.
Alumni can contact Andrew King for additional details.
- August 27: start first day of class in the Flemming Center and online
- December 3: Final Business pitch decks presentations due: email links to email@example.com
- December 11: Finalists pitch to the panel of judges in synchronous online format
- Business Purpose - Explanation of the problem that exists and how the business idea solves this problem
- Potential - Support for the commercial potential, viability, and prospects for success of the business idea
- Validation - The idea has been tested in some way, big or small, with real potential customers (customer interviews, prototypes, surveys, etc.)
- Team - The credibility, "back-ability," and passion of the individuals behind the business idea
Mentorship & Entrepreneurship Education
The following is a sampling of the benefits available to the finalist teams:
- Education - Prior to the pitch competition, student and local alumni teams will participate in entrepreneurship clinics covering topics such as creating a business model canvas, preparing a pitch, and start-up life. Non-local alumni will have access to alternative educational resources including the Entrepreneur's Dashboard powered by StartupSpace TM.
- Mentoring - Work with experienced mentors and entrepreneurs in the Hampden-Sydney community and beyond
- Networking - Connect with the Hampden-Sydney entrepreneurial ecosystem including investors, entrepreneurs, and business leaders with a diverse range of expertise
- Community - Community is an important part of the Hampden-Sydney Venture Fund experience. Teams are expected to learn as much from one another as they do from the Hampden-Sydney College Venture Fund staff and mentors.