Spring 2018 Position
Part-time Lecturer of Mathematics and Computer Science
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Hampden-Sydney College invites applicants for a one-semester part-time Lecturer position from January to May, 2018. A master's degree in a mathematical science is required. Candidates must be able to teach introductory courses in calculus and/or statistics.
All applicants should submit a letter describing teaching interests and experience and a curriculum vitae. Please submit all application materials on Interfolio via the following link: http://apply.interfolio.com/44599 Hampden-Sydney College is a selective four-year liberal arts college for men enrolling 1000+ students located on a 1200-acre campus, 60 miles southwest of Richmond, Virginia.
Assistant Professor of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College is a selective four-year liberal arts college for men enrolling 1050 students on a 1330-acre campus in Virginia, 60 miles southwest of Richmond. Since 1775 Hampden-Sydney has sustained its mission "to form good men and good citizens in an atmosphere of sound learning." Hampden-Sydney College seeks qualified applicants for the following, full-time tenure-track assistant professor of biology position.
BIOLOGY with specialization in Anatomy/Physiology and Histology. Responsibilities include a 4/3 teaching load with lecture/laboratory courses for freshman-level Principles of Biology and sophomore-level Anatomy and Physiology, as well as advanced courses in Histology and in the candidate's related area of expertise. Hampden-Sydney highly values the teacher/scholar model of education. Candidates must be broadly trained, dedicated to undergraduate teaching, and prepared to supervise student research. Competitive applicants should hold a Ph.D. in a relevant field of Biology. Contact: Dr. Kristian Hargadon, Chair, Department of Biology. Telephone: (434) 223-6361; FAX: (434) 223-6374; E-mail, email@example.com, Website: http://www.hsc.edu/academics/biology/.
To apply, please upload the following via Interfolio (https://apply.interfolio.com/43456): letter of application addressed to Dr. Kristian Hargadon, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research plans, and three letters of reference. Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Employment begins July 1, 2018. Hampden-Sydney College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Assistant Professor of Economics and Business
Hampden-Sydney College, a private liberal arts men's college with a commitment to excellence in undergraduate education, invites applications for a tenure-track appointment in the Department of Economics & Business beginning August 2018. Candidates should be prepared to teach courses in one or more of the following areas: introduction to economics, money and banking, international trade, international finance, and intermediate economic theory (micro or macro). Doctorate in economics or ABD at advanced dissertation stage preferred. Candidates must have a strong commitment to teaching.
Hampden-Sydney College, a selective college founded in 1775, is located in south-central Virginia, and has an enrollment of approximately 1100 students. Submit letter of application, curriculum vitae, graduate transcripts, indications of teaching competence, and three letters of recommendation. Applications must be submitted via Interfolio, at the following link: http://apply.interfolio.com/44593. Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2017. We will be holding interviews at the AEA/ASSA meetings in Philadelphia in January, 2018.
Assistant Professor of Fine Arts -- Studio Artist
Hampden-Sydney College seeks a full-time, tenure-track assistant professor for drawing, painting, and design studio classes beginning fall 2018. The successful candidate will help supervise thesis projects, and be encouraged to develop studio and seminar courses in his or her area(s) of interest. Teaching load is seven courses a year.
Candidates must evidence a strong commitment to undergraduate liberal-arts education and a strong desire to contribute to an evolving arts program. We seek a colleague whose teaching can integrate traditional studio craft with digital technologies and who is able to foster interdisciplinary connections both in the Fine Arts Department and across the College as a whole. The successful candidate will have the interpersonal skills necessary to effectively mentor students and to encourage growth in both their creative thinking and their craft.
We seek a candidate with a strong exhibition record and knowledge of contemporary art and its history, especially drawing and painting. Additionally, candidates must possess organizational skills (evidencing the ability to maintain drawing and painting studios, assist with maintenance of the design studio and digital lab, and the administrative tasks within the Fine Arts Department). Teaching experience, ideally in a liberal arts setting, and an MFA are required.
In continuous operation since 1775, Hampden-Sydney College is a selective four-year liberal arts college for men enrolling about 1100 students. The music and visual arts programs have just moved into newly renovated facilities. Located in Virginia, 60 miles southwest of Richmond, Hampden-Sydney College offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefits package.
Employment begins July 1, 2018. Hampden-Sydney College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from qualified minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
Applications through Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/44932 will be accepted through December 15, 2018. Direct questions about uploading application materials to Interfolio: https://firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions must include:
• Cover letter stating qualifications and interest in this position addressed to Professor Mary Prevo, Art Historian/Chair of Search Committee, Department of Fine Arts, Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
• Curriculum vitae with contact information • Statement of teaching philosophy
• Sample syllabi from at least two courses
• Artist's statement
• Three confidential letters of recommendation
• 20 examples of professional work and 10 images of your students' work* (Include title, year, medium, size)
Two Assistant Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science Positions
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Hampden-Sydney College is seeking applicants for two tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning mid-August 2018. Successful applicants will teach introductory mathematics and statistics courses together with a variety of upper-level mathematics courses within a department offering majors in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Computer Science. Members of the department typically teach three courses per semester. Hampden-Sydney College highly values the teacher/scholar model. Thus, candidates should demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and the drive to sustain an ongoing program of scholarship. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in a mathematical science by the time of appointment. We encourage candidates with a wide range of specialties in pure mathematics, applied mathematics, or statistics to apply.
All applicants must submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, and three letters of reference. Please submit all application materials to Professor Brian Lins, Chair, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Hampden-Sydney College via MathJobs.org. Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Preliminary interviews will be conducted at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in San Diego, CA in January 2018. Since 1775, Hampden-Sydney has sustained its mission "to form good men and good citizens." The College enrolls approximately 1050 students on its beautiful, residential campus situated on 1300 acres in south-central Virginia, 60 miles southwest of Richmond. The academic environment is characterized by small classes and close student-faculty relationships.
Assistant Professor in Spanish---Pre-1700 Peninsular Literature
The Department of Modern Languages at Hampden-Sydney College invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant professor beginning July 1, 2018.
The Department seeks candidates who specialize in pre-1700 peninsular literature and culture with the ability to teach Golden Age Literature. Candidates must be dedicated to undergraduate teaching and be able to teach all levels of language as well as upper-level literature and culture courses. Interest in contributing new and innovative courses to the Spanish program is a plus. Responsibilities include teaching seven courses per year, scholarly activity and providing service to the department, the College and the community. Completion of the Ph.D. is required by the position start date.
Since 1775 Hampden-Sydney has sustained its mission "to form good men and good citizens." The College enrolls approximately 1050 students on its beautiful, residential campus situated on 1300 acres in south-central Virginia, 60 miles southwest of Richmond. The academic environment is characterized by small classes and close student-faculty relationships. Hampden-Sydney College is committed to its strong, liberal arts curriculum and offers the successful candidate the opportunity to explore multi-disciplinary teaching opportunities and research.
Review of applications will begin on November 1st. Interviews will be held at the MLA Conference in January, 2018. Please send letter of application, curriculum vitae and three confidential letters of reference, by email or through the interfolio link http://apply.interfolio.com/45315 to: Dr. Dieudonné Afatsawo, Department of Modern Languages, Box 841, Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943. Telephone: 434-223-6336; Fax: 434-223-6347; E-mail: email@example.com; www.hsc.edu/academics/modlangs.
Three Assistant Professor of Rhetoric Positions
Hampden-Sydney College invites applications for three tenure-track openings at the rank of Assistant Professor of Rhetoric, beginning August 2018. Successful candidates for all positions will teach courses in the College's Rhetoric Minor, the most popular minor that we offer, as well as several sections of first-year composition courses in our general education rhetoric sequence. Hampden-Sydney's Rhetoric Program-praised and supported by its administration, faculty, and alumni as a central part of the curriculum-is now poised to move into an exciting new phase. Hiring for Rhetoric positions vacated by retiring faculty at the same time that the College moves forward with plans to establish a new Communication Commons provides a unique opportunity for our program to reinvent the kinds of tutorial services that we offer to students in all disciplines, to reinvigorate our connections with faculty in other departments and programs across campus, and to expand our offerings in the Rhetoric minor. We seek candidates who can both contribute to our highly-regarded program's existing strengths and spearhead curricular initiatives, including initiatives for our innovative tutorial space.
1) One tenure-track position for which we invite applications involves directing Rhetoric Program tutorial services in the proposed new Communication Commons, current plans for which involve combining our existing speaking and writing centers in one location central to the campus and providing multimodal tutorial services to assist students and faculty across the curriculum. Candidates should have a Ph.D. in hand by August 2018 in Rhetoric/Composition or a related field such as Communication Center Administration and should have composition teaching experience as well as some administrative experience. Candidates who are able to offer tutoring services and train student peer tutors in written, spoken, and visual communication are especially well-suited for this position. Review of applications begins October 15, 2017. 2) and 3) For our other tenure-track openings, we seek candidates with a Ph.D. in hand by August 2018 in Rhetoric/Composition or a related field who have teaching experience in first-year composition programs and primary or secondary expertise in one or more of the following fields: Writing across the Curriculum/Writing in the Disciplines, basic writing, multimodal rhetoric, visual communication, professional communication, creative nonfiction, and journalism. Successful candidates for these positions will teach some combination of 100-level first-year composition courses as well as existing courses in the Rhetoric minor (Rhetoric 360: Topics in Rhetorical Traditions; Rhetoric 370: Rhetoric and Culture; Rhetoric 301: Creative Nonfiction); they will also have the opportunity to develop new courses for the minor, such as multimodal communication and professional communication. Application deadline: November 15, 2017. Hampden-Sydney College, located on a beautiful 1000-acre campus in Virginia, is a selective liberal arts college for men enrolling about 1,100 students. Candidates with experience in a liberal arts environment are preferred. The annual teaching load for successful applicants for these positions will likely be four sections of our 100-level Rhetoric courses, which are capped at 14 students, and either three sections of upper-level courses or a combination of upper-level courses and course-equivalents for administrative/tutorial work in the planned Communication Commons. Candidates for the director of tutorial services position should apply through this Interfolio link: http://apply.interfolio.com/44603. Candidates for the other two positions should apply through this Interfolio link http://apply.interfolio.com/44605. For all three positions, please include a letter of application, curriculum vitae, writing sample, and three confidential letters of reference. Letters of application should be addressed to Dr. Katherine Weese, Director of the Rhetoric Program, Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943. Inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or made by phone: 434-223-6254.
Learn more about Hampden-Sydney at www.hsc.edu. Hampden-Sydney College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.