Studying Abroad or Away During the Academic Year (Fall/Spring)

Immerse yourself for a semester or full-year! Study abroad in another country or study away in the United States—Hampden-Sydney College endorses 100 programs in 30 different countries.

**The College has cancelled all Fall 2020 endorsements.**

Global Ed Program (Abroad/Away) Eligiblity Requirements

  • Minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA
  • 45 credit hours earned before departure
  • Good standing with the business office
  • Approval from the Dean of Students
  • Approval from the Director of Global Education and Study Abroad

The Dean of Students reviews the disciplinary records of all applicants. Students may apply while currently under probation, as long as their sanctions will be completed before their program begins. Students with problematic disciplinary histories might not be approved, whether they are currently on probation or not. Students placed on disciplinary probation after being approved, or who have not completed all imposed sanctions prior to departure may have that approval revoked.

Students meeting these requirements typically participate in an Endorsed Program their junior year. Students wishing to attend an program in the spring of their sophomore year or fall of their senior year must complete the waiver request section of the application.

Application Process

  1. Apply with the Office of Global Education no later than February 15 (Fall and Full-Year programs) or September 15 (Spring programs)
  2. Application is reviewed and student notified of approval status
  3. Approved students are eligible to apply to their program of choice from the Endorsed List

Please note: In addition to H-SC's requirements, each program will have its own eligibility requirements and application deadlines students must meet.

Cost and Finances

Students participating in an Endorsed Program pay H-SC fees, which for one semester is the Study Abroad Special Fee and half of the Study Abroad Trip Fee.  (The fees for Away programs and Abroad programs are the same.)  All financial aid, including Federal, State, and H-SC-administered aid/scholarships, may apply to the cost of tuition, housing, and food expense for these programs.

Students who drop out or are removed from a program will be responsible for all non-refundable fees owed to the program and Hampden-Sydney College.   

Receiving Credit for Courses

In all courses, students must receive a grade of C or better in each course to earn H-SC transfer credit. However, these grades will not be computed as part of the GPA. Grades of C- or lower will not transfer. Students are to complete a Global Ed Course Approval Form prior to departure for the courses they intend to take.  Students wishing to receive credit toward Hampden-Syndey's Compass requirement must usually enroll in a Hampden-Sydney 1-credit course in addition to their other classes. 

Where Can I Study? 

Programs vary in their course offerings and on-site experience and students are encouraged to review their options in consultation with the Director of Global Ed and their academic advisor.  The following Endorsed Programs are chosen for compatibility with the College's goals and curriculum, the living and classroom status at the host institution, and the program's location. 

Endorsed Study Abroad & Away Programs


    Make an Appointment

    Want to meet with the director of Global Education and Study Abroad?

    Make an Appointment

    Global Ed Funding

    Funding opportunities for study abroad and away programs are available.

    Explore Global Ed Funding