Students may apply to receive credit hours for college courses taken through another accredited college or university if they earn a grade of C or higher. The grade and hours earned are entered on the student's transcript, but no quality points are given and the grade-point average is unaffected. Grades in courses taught in a foreign country by Hampden-Sydney professors and courses offered in a program in which Hampden-Sydney College has policy-making and administrative oversight (e.g., the Virginia Program at Oxford) are computed in the grade-point average. Students receive credit only for courses which are equivalent to those available at Hampden-Sydney. Students may use credit hours earned through another college or university to satisfy core, major, or elective requirements of the Hampden-Sydney curriculum, provided that authorization is granted by the appropriate Hampden-Sydney department chair. To ensure transfer of credit for courses taken at other institutions after a student matriculates at Hampden-Sydney College, a student must obtain departmental approval prior to enrollment. A transfer course approval form must be completed before credit is awarded. If the course was taught online, a copy of the course syllabus must accompany the form. Courses will be approved by the department on a case by case basis.
A student who wishes to receive transfer credit for credits earned at another institution is responsible for providing the Registrar's Office with an official transcript of the work promptly on completion of the coursework.
Dual enrollment credit courses are treated as transfer credit.
Virginia Community College System Transfer Matrix
Link to the matrix of Virginia Community College courses and their Hampden-Sydney College course equivalents. If a transfer course is taken after matriculating to Hampden-Sydney College, prior department approval is required.
Summer School Credit
Subject to departmental approval, students may receive credit of courses taken in summer school through another college or university if they earn a grade of C or higher. The grade and hours earned are entered on the student's transcript, but no quality points are given and the grade-point average is unaffected. Departmental approval must be obtained before a student enrolls in the course. Any student who wishes to receive credit for such course is responsible for providing the Registrar's Office with an official transcript of the work promptly on completion of the study.
To ensure that the transfer course request is properly received and processed, students should note the following information and directions:
- Plan ahead! Complete all arrangements for a summer transfer course prior to leaving Hampden-Sydney College for the break. Failure to do so may result in no transfer credit being awarded.
- Download the Transfer Course Approval form.
- Meet with your advisor to determine the appropriateness of the course for your curriculum. Advisor signature is required indicating approval.
- Meet with the appropriate Hampden-Sydney College Department Chair for a signature indicating department approval. A list of Department Chairs is provided.
- Finally, submit the Course Approval form to the Registrar's Office on the second floor of Atkinson Hall for final approval. If the request is denied, a copy of the denied Course Approval Form will be returned to the student's Hampden-Sydney PO Box.