The Office of Academic Success is here to assist all Hampden-Sydney students in setting and reaching your academic goals. Attending college is a wonderful opportunity that can be both exciting and confusing at times. We are here to help you develop the skills necessary for effective performance in and positive adjustment to the college learning environment. We are here to help you succeed!
Individual appointments are available to discuss academic issues and skills development. Contact us!
Academic Skills Workshops
Workshops are available throughout the semester on a weekly basis or are available by appointment for Residence Life, Athletics, Greek Life, and Student Organizations. Topics include goal-setting, time management, note-taking, reading skills, active learning, test taking and preparation, charting academic progress, and dealing with stress.
Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. in the Dupont Room of the Bortz Library (Rm 200)
- Wednesday, September 4, Getting Started: Goals Setting & Motivation
- Wednesday, September 11, Getting It Together: Organization & Procrastination
- Wednesday, September 18, Putting Your Skills To Work: Listening & Note-Taking
- Wednesday. September 25, Putting Yourself To The Test: Preparing & Taking Exams
- Wedessay, October 2, Staying On Track: Mid-Term Flight Check
- Wednesday, October 9, Worth Remembering: Improving your Memory
- Wednesday, October 16, Library Research: How to Prepare For Research Projects
- Wednesday, October 23, Deficiency Notice: Learn How To Bounce Back
- Wednesday, October 30, Looking Ahead: Planning For Next Semester
- Wednesday, November 6, Majors And Careers
- Wednesday, November 13th, Semster Wrap up: Papers & Projects Are Due Shortly
Each session will be half workshop/half discussion...come with ideas! PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED!
Call Lisa Lisa Burns, 434-223-6188, for more information
The Advising Program
All freshmen and transfer students are assigned an Academic Advisor who will assist in class selection, study skills development and transition to Hampden-Sydney College. Advisors are here to help you achieve your academic and personal goals by successfully guiding you through Hampden-Sydney's academic curriculum and helping you build connections with community resources and campus & peer support services.
Learning Disability Accommodation Requests and Recommendations
Academic assistance and appropriate accommodations are provided to students with diagnosed learning disabilities. Further information about the procedure to request accommodations may be obtained from the Office of Academic Success.
Programs are offered before each semester to help selected students develop and improve academic skills.
Students on Academic Probation, those returning after Academic Suspension, and those with excessive Mid-Term Deficiencies will receive individualized assistance in improving skills and performance through Academic Counseling, specialized workshops and utilization of other campus resources.
Tutors are available for assistance with Biology, Economics, History, Greek, Latin, Philosophy, Psychology and Western Culture. (Tutors are available for other subjects through the appropriate academic department.) No appointment necessary!
What to bring:
- positive attitude
- course textbook and notes
- writing utensil
- specific questions which address area(s) of difficulty
- copy of the assignment (where applicable)