The Office of Academic Success is here to assist all Hampden-Sydney students in setting and reaching your academic goals. Attending college is a wonderful opportunity that can be both exciting and confusing at times. We are here to help you develop the skills necessary for effective performance in and positive adjustment to the college learning environment. We are here to help you succeed!
Individual appointments are available to discuss academic issues and skills development. Contact us!
Academic Skills Workshops
Workshops are available throughout the semester on a weekly basis or are available by appointment for Residence Life, Athletics, Greek Life, and Student Organizations. Topics include goal-setting, time management, note-taking, reading skills, active learning, test taking and preparation, charting academic progress, and dealing with stress.
Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. in the Dupont Room of the Bortz Library (Rm 200)
- Wednesday, August 26th, Getting Started: Goals Setting & Motivation
- Wednesday, September 2nd, Getting It Together: Organization & Procrastination
- Wednesday, September 9th, Putting Your Skills To Work: Reading, Listening, & Note-Taking
- Wednesday, September 16th, Putting Yourself To The Test: Preparing For & Taking Exams
- Wednesday, September 23rd, Staying On Track: Mid-Term Flight Check
- Wednesday, September 30th, Deficiency Notices: Plan Your Turn-around Strategy
- Wednesday, October 7th, Looking Ahead: Map Out Spring Courses Now
- Wednesday, October 14th, Library Research: Research Skills for Papers
- Wednesday, October 21st, Worth Remembering: Improving Your Memory
- Wednesday, October 28th, Semester Wrap up: Preparing and Planning Wisely
Each session contains both information and discussion time. PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED!
Call Teresa Laughlin at x-6324 for more information.
The Advising Program
All freshmen and transfer students are assigned an Academic Advisor who will assist in class selection, study skills development and transition to Hampden-Sydney College. Advisors are here to help you achieve your academic and personal goals by successfully guiding you through Hampden-Sydney's academic curriculum and helping you build connections with community resources and campus & peer support services.
Programs are offered before each semester to help selected students develop and improve academic skills.
Students on Academic Probation, those returning after Academic Suspension, and those with excessive Mid-Term Deficiencies will receive individualized assistance in improving skills and performance through Academic Counseling, specialized workshops and utilization of other campus resources.
Tutors are available for assistance with Biology, Economics, History, Greek, Latin, Philosophy, Psychology and Western Culture. (Tutors are available for other subjects through the appropriate academic department.) No appointment necessary!
What to bring:
- positive attitude
- course textbook and notes
- writing utensil
- specific questions which address area(s) of difficulty
- copy of the assignment (where applicable)