International StudentsWelcome to Hampden-Sydney College!
Prospective International Students: apply now!
New International Students
For more information please contact the Office of Global Education. Phone number (434) 223-6311
Current International Students
You have joined an elite group of men to study at this highly-ranked institution. Founded in 1775, the College is rich in history and heritage and is the 10th oldest college in the United States. We hope that you enjoy your time here. This site is set up to help you obtain information about international student on-campus activities and groups, Student Visas, employment and other immigration issues and policies.
For comprehensive information regarding being an International Student at Hampden-Sydney college, please refer to the International Student Handbook. For your convenience, answers to frequently asked questions are listed below.
Questions about Tuition or other School Fees
Graham Hall, Second Floor
Contact: Jason Ferguson, Director of Admissions
Phone: (434) 223-6327
Contact: Cindy Jones, Student Accounts Manager
Phone: (434) 223-6223
Financial Aid Office
Bush House, 001
Contact: Zita Barree, Director of Financial Aid
Phone: (434) 223-6265
Information about F-1 VisasF-1 students must take a full-time course load at the college. I-20 forms will be issued to students wishing to apply for an F-1 visa and must remain current.
Working while a student
As a student in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, students may not work on campus more than 20 hours a week when college is in session. To work on campus students must obtain a social security number. Students with F-1 visas are not allowed to work off campus.
- Human Resources Office
- Check with professors directly
- Ask around the different College offices
Documents Required for Employment
- Employment application (available from Human Resources Office)
- Social Security card (see Human Resources Office for procedures)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (distributed by Human Resources)
- W-4 Tax Withholding Certificate (distributed by Human Resources)
- State Tax Withholding Certificate (distributed by Human Resources)
- I-94 Card
- SEVIS I-20
Maintaining your legal status while enrolled at Hampden-Sydney College
- Students must maintain full-time enrollment with a minimum of 12 hours; a reduced course load is permitted in special cases. Contact the Office of Global Education for more information.
- Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Hold a valid I-20 form and passport at all times while in the U.S.
Travel outside of the United States and reentry
- Obtain travel endorsement on I-20 from Office of Global Education before leaving the United States.
- Obtain visa to destination country if necessary.
- Have valid U.S. visa in passport at the time of re-entry.
Extension of stay
- Students may obtain an extension if more time is needed to finish their program of study or start a new program.
- Request an extension of your I-20 before your current I-20 expires.
Lost or Stolen Visas
It is important to contact your country's embassy immediately if you suspect that your passport has been lost or stolen.
Renewing Your Passport
An international passport can be renewed in the U.S. through the Embassy of your country of citizenship.
Useful Information for International StudentsHelp with Rhetoric
Contact Dr. Schooling
Last updated: 6/13/12