U.S. News & World Report and Forbes name H-SC one of the top liberal arts colleges in the United States. It is considered a best value college for its return on investment, our alumni network ranks 3rd in the nation, says The Princeton Review, and The Wall Street Journal has ranked us among the top 10 for career preparation.
The College’s required Rhetoric Program provides Olympic-level training in writing and speech, and the interdisciplinary Core Cultures program ensures students learn about the past from both a Western and a global cultures perspective.The Princeton Review
The Princeton Review
- names H-SC a Best Value College offering a superb education with excellent career preparation at an affordable price
- ranks H-SC #1 for Most Active Student Government and 3rd for Most Politically Active Students
- ranks Hampden-Sydney’s Bortz Library the 2nd Best College Library
- ranks H-SC at #3 among “Best Alumni Networks”
- ranks 6th for having Friendliest Students and 12th for the Happiest Students
- ranks students 9th for Loving Their School Teams
- ranks the College 12th for Lots of Greek Life
- ranks H-SC #6 for Best Schools for Internships and 12th for Best Career Services
- gives professors an accessibility rating of 96 according to student surveys
- ranks H-SC among the top 25 Best Schools for Making an Impact in community service, student government, and student engagement
What Students Say...
In their Princeton Review survey responses, H-SC students note that
- the student body is “a brotherhood rather than a group of peers”
- H-SC professors are “nothing short of excellent” and "the real deal"
- the faculty "invest so much time and care into their students…it is clear that they became professors to teach”
- the College “excels in imparting upon its students the ability to think critically”
- if a student “is willing to accept a challenging road, he will be rewarded”
- "you will not get an education like this anywhere else"
- Hampden-Sydney College is “really is unlike any other school out there and any student here will back that up”
Its "career center and alumni connections are…outstanding" — "having alumni invested in you and your future really makes a difference"
US News & World Report
- names H-SC a Best Value School
- ranks H-SC #100 nationally among liberal arts colleges/universities and #57 in the South
- awarded H-SC a financial grade of "A+", making the College the third highest ranked Virginia private institution on the list, and placing Hampden-Sydney in the top 11 percent of all private colleges nationally
- ranks H-SC among top colleges and universities: in the top 16% nationwide, and the top 18% in Virginia
- ranks H-SC among the top 29% colleges for your money nationwide
The Wall Street Journal
- has ranked Hampden-Sydney among top colleges and universities with high marks in Outcomes, Engagement, Return on Investment, and Career Preparation
New York Times
- reports H-SC graduate median annual incomes at age 34 are in the top 3% of selective private colleges nationally, and the top 6% of all colleges
- includes H-SC among the top 10 liberal arts schools where graduates earn the most