The following information explains Hampden-Sydney College's procedures for a room change and/or room check-in and check-out. A student must complete the room change process within 48 hours from the time of approval from the Associalte Dean of Students for Housing and Residence Life or the approval will be invalid. Please note that only under special circumstances will freshmen be allowed to make a room change before November 1.

Housing Regulations in The Key


  1. Room Change Request Forms:  Contact your Resident Advisor to make an appointment to meet with him regarding a room change. He will give you a Room Change Form that you and other students involved must sign.  Upon completion the form will be formally approved by the Associate Dean of Students or his designee before a student begins to relocate.  Room changes are processed on Thursday of each week.  Forms received by 8am Tuesday will be considered for approval and processing the following Thursday.  (Unauthorized room changes at any time are subject to a minimum fine of $300.00, and the room change being denied.  There is no charge for an approved room change.)
  2. Current Room Check-Out:   When a room change is granted by the Dean, your Resident Advisor or House Manager will get a ROOM CHANGE NOTICE e-mail from Ms. Huskey in the Office of Student Affairs. You should contact your Resident Advisor or House Manager and have him conduct an inspection and ONLINE check out of your room. Should you be liable for any damages, they will be charged to your student account. When the check-out Room Furnishings and Condition Report is complete, you should sign it online. A confirmation e-mail will be sent to your H-SC e-mail account.
  3. New Room Check-in:  ONLY when your check-out form is complete will the system update and enable you to check into the new room.  The Resident Advisor or House Manager will be notified that you are moving into his area. Please contact him before you move in, as he will need to complete an online check-in inspection report of your new room.  Remember-both procedures need to be done within 48 hours of approval.
  4. Department Notification:    Room Change Approval - Your change will be updated in the College database system and sent to the various departments throughout the campus who are involved with your room change. You will be e-mailed your room change instructions. 
  5. Buildings and Grounds: (Hrs.-7am-4pm) Key issue and return procedure.  ANY KEYS issued to you are College property and must be returned to Facilities or you will be fined. NEVER TRADE KEYS WITH ANYONE. Facilities will be notified of your room change approval and will issue you a key to your new room.  You must return your old room key to them when your move is complete, or you will be fined for failure to return the key.  Please make sure this is done within 48 hours of your room change approval. Questions may be directed to Mr. Bill Gillen (434-223-6032)..
  6. Business Office - Should a change involve your room and board fees, the Student Accounts Manager will make the appropriate adjustments on your student account.  Questions pertaining to this should be directed to (434-223-6223).

ROOM CHECK-OUT (Mid-Term or End of Semester Check-Out)   

If you decide to leave the College during or at the end of the semester, please notify the Office of Student Affairs. You should also contact your Resident Advisor or House Manager.  He will complete an inspection of your room and have you sign your Online Room Furnishings and Condition Report.  You will be billed should you be liable for any damages. Students who are asked to leave the College must vacate their room by the DEADLINE set in his administrative letter.


Check out procedures are more detailed than mid-term or end of semester check-out. Therefore, those procedures will be outlined in a memo that you will receive via your campus e-mail near the end of the second semester. You should carefully read and become familiar with them and the subsequent fines, should you fail to follow those procedures.  KEYS - Any keys issued to you are College property and must be returned to Facilities when you leave the College or you will be fined.