*all events are located in Crawley Forum unless otherwise specified
9/11: Twenty Years Later - Symposium
September 8 | 7 pm
"Changes and Challenges to our Legal System"
Moderator: Robert Luther ’03, Counsel at Jones Day
- Mark Robertson ’93, Special Counsel in the Government Affairs and Strategic Counsel group, Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP
- Michael Ellis, Visiting Fellow for Law and Technology, Heritage Foundation; former General Counsel, National Security Agency; Deputy Assistant to the President; Senior Director for Intelligence Programs, National Security Council
- Ivan Schlager, Partner in the International Trade & National Security Practice, Kirkland and Ellis
September 9 | 7 pm
"Leadership and Statesmanship in Challenging Times"
Keynote: James Cain, Ambassador to Denmark (retired)
September 20 | 7 pm
"Changes and Challenges to our Intelligence Community and National Security Infrastructure"
- Col. Dwayne Bowyer ’92, U.S. Army
- Lewis Robinson ’91, Assistant Director, National Counter Terrorism Center
- Adam Lee, former FBI Special Agent in Charge, Richmond; CSO, Dominion Energy
- Charles McLaughlin, Visiting Fellow, Center for the Study of Statesmanship, The Catholic University of America; former Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of State; Director for Strategic Planning, National Security Council
October 20 | 7 pm CRAWLEY FORUM
"Making of America’s Global War on Terror from Reagan to Clinton"
Keynote: Matthew Frakes, Researcher, University of Virginia
Wilson Center Talks
October 26 | 7 pm | via Zoom
Constitution Day: "Protecting Constitutional Discourse in an Age of Echo Chambers"
Allison Orr Larsen, Alfred Wilson & Mary I.W. Lee Professor of Law and Director, Institute of the Bill of Rights Law, William & Mary Law School
October 25 | 7 pm CRAWLEY FORUM
2021 Elections in the Commonwealth: "Foreshadowing, Opportunities and Challenges"
Speaker: The Honorable Chris Peace ’98, former member of the Virginia House of Delegates
November 8 | 7 pm CRAWLEY FORUM
"Caudillos, Dictators, and Populists Around the World: What’s the Same? What’s the Difference? Why Does It Matter?"
Hampden-Sydney College Professors:
- Dr. Caroline Emmons, Elliott Professor of History
- Dr. James Frusetta, Elliott Associate Professor of History
- Dr. John Eastby, Professor of Government & Foreign Affairs
- Dr. John Green, friend of the College and Modern Languages Department