Some students may be interested in summer programs that are not affiliated with Hampden-Sydney. H-SC does not keep an endorsed list of abroad summer programs offered by external parties, but approves them on a case-by-case basis. Students are encouraged to meet with the Global Education director to explore their options and for review of their preferred program.

Students who wish to study at a U.S. institution during the summer must follow the registrar's office policies and procedures to ensure transfer credit.  

Program Eligibility

  • Applicants must be in good academic standing (2.5 or higher GPA) by the end of the fall semester before departure.
  • The Dean of Students reviews the disciplinary records of all applicants. Students may apply while currently under probation, as long as their sanctions will be completed before their program begins. Students with problematic disciplinary histories might not be approved, whether they are currently on probation or not. Students placed on disciplinary probation after being approved or who have not completed all imposed sanctions prior to departure may have that approval revoked.
  • Program providers will have their own eligibility requirements that students must also meet.

Application and Approval Process

Students wishing to take courses offered by other providers must adhere to the following requirements:

  1. Apply for Global Education Funding with H-SC by January - the first Wednesday of classes
  2. Apply for Global Education Program Approval with H-SC by February 15
  3. If approved by H-SC, apply to the selected program by the provider's deadline
  4. Complete all required H-SC paperwork by their deadlines
  5. Attend all required H-SC pre-departure meetings

Global Ed Approval and Application Form

Transferring Course Credit

Courses taken with other providers may be eligible for transfer credit:

  • Before departure, complete the Global Ed Course Approval Form and return it to Global Ed.
  • Earn a C or higher in the courses listed on the Course Approval Form.
  • Ensure that an official transcript is sent by the program provider directly to the Global Ed director: Box 605, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943.
  • Completing courses managed by other providers does NOT satisfy H-SC's COMPASS/Experiential Learning requirement.  It may be possible for students to enroll in an H-SC 1-credit COMPASS course in addition to their program class(es), though this option is not guaranteed. If you are interested in earning COMPASS/EL credit, please discuss your options with the Global Ed director.

Summer Abroad Course Approval Form

Deposits and Billing

Students pay all deposits and fees directly to the provider.

Students whose programs do not provide the level of insurance required by H-SC will be enrolled in H-SC's insurance, which will be charged to the student's H-SC account.

The College does not approve participation in a program whose location has a U.S. State Department Travel Advisory of Level 3 or higher and/or a Level 3 CDC Travel Health Notice.  Students who would like to petition for an exemption to this policy are advised to reach out to the director of Global Education before March 1.