This year's Big Event date is Saturday, March 19, 2022 .
The Big Event is a day of service with a simple message to the community - THANK YOU.
It originated at Texas A&M in 1982 and the Big Event has since spread to campuses across the country. It is now one of the largest student-led service projects in the nation. The purpose of the Big Event is to give back to the community, to thank local residents for their support throughout the year.
Hampden-Sydney's Big Event began in 2011 and service projects include helping neighbors with yard work and other home projects, as well as helping local community service organizations.
For more information, please email Sandy Cooke, Director of Student Affairs Operations, Orientation, and Civic Engagement, at email@example.com.
Thank you for participating in the 2022 BIG EVENT!
Everyone must have close-toed shoes (preferably work boots or hiking boots) and gloves. Insect repellent is recommended as it's a ticky time of year.
Here's a sample of a previous year's projects:
- In Prospect, an illegal tire dump was cleaned up
- At FACES food pantry, food was distributed to several hundred families
- Chalgrove Lake was cleaned
- College Church had mulch spread and the grounds cleaned up
- Dr. Rachel Goodman led a group in a Clean Virginia Waterways project
- We assisted with the Special Olympics
- At Prince Edward High School, built an outdoor classroom
- 20 miles of roadways in Prince Edward were cleaned
- We helped with construction at a Habitat for Humanity house
- Several local residents had planting done, a deck stained, and a gravel driveway spread