Listed below are additional sources of financial aid to consider as you research ways to fund your college education. Please review the Helpful Hints link first to help organize your search.
In your search for sources of financial aid beyond the aid Hampden-Sydney has offered you, please note the following:
- High school seniors should first check with their school's college or guidance counselor. Students have a higher likelihood of qualifying for scholarships in their local area than beyond it.
- All students should check with local organizations (community service, non-profit agencies, government agencies, small businesses, churches or other religious organizations, and civic groups.) Also check out our "Community Foundations" link for scholarships that are available in your city or county of residence.
- Check with your employer or your parents' employers for scholarships and tuition reimbursement programs.
- It is rare for students to receive a single large scholarship such as $20,000 from an outside organization. The best plan is to put together a number of small scholarships. Many people skip over scholarships that award less than $1,000 as well as ones that require essays, so these are often untapped resources.
College Savings Plans
Private Scholarship Search
The scholarship search services in this section are free. You are encouraged to enter as much biographical data as possible in the "Personal Information" sections of the searches. Many scholarships are available to specific groups of people based on things like military status/affiliation, cultural heritage, hobbies, and more. While we do not endorse any particular organization, business, group, or individual on this page, or the services that they might provide, these are nationally recognized scholarship search services of which you should be aware.
- College Board
- Scholarship.com, LLC
- Scholarship Guidance Search Service
- School Soup Scholarship Search
- Tuition Funding Sources (TFS)
While we would not normally recommend a scholarship search service that requires a fee to be paid, we have heard from a number of our families that this service may be worth the cost: Scholly
The Financial Aid Office will post outside scholarship opportunities as we become aware of them. We do not endorse any particular organization, business, group, or individual on this page, nor do we endorse any point of view, product, or service that they might provide. Although the following scholarships have been briefly reviewed for legitimacy, students should use their best judgment in applying for any scholarship opportunity. We recommend that students do not apply for any scholarship that might require them to pay for consideration, or any site that requires an undue amount of personal information from them.
- ACS Scholars Program
- BAM Scholarship
BAM (Blacks at Microsoft) is a company-sponsored employee network dedicated to supporting the continued growth and development of black employees at Microsoft Corporation.
- CHCI (Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute)
Scholarship + Internship = SUCCESS!
- The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
Administered by the United Negro College Fund
- GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
A Diploma is Forever
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
- The Jackie Robinson Foundation
The Jackie Robinson Foundation provides a multi-faceted approach for minority students who desire to attend college.
- J.T. - Minnie Maude Charitable Trust
Providing people with the means to compete and succeed
- National Merit Scholarship
- PNC Student Lending Scholarship (pdf)
Undergraduate students must be attending an eligible U.S. college or university.
- Presbyterian Church (USA) Scholarships
- Ron Brown Scholar Program
- Rhodes Scholar
- Tillman Military Scholars Program
- Virginia Baptist Scholarship
- Virginia Latino Higher Education Network
- Arlington Community Foundation
- The Community Foundation
Serving the cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Richmond, and Petersburg and the counties of Charles City, Chesterfield, Fluvanna, Gloucester, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, King, Lancaster, Louisa, Matthews, Prince George, and Queen
- Community Foundation Central Blue Ridge
Serving the cities of Staunton and Waynesboro and the counties of August, Highland, and Nelson
- The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia
- The Community Foundation of Harrisonburg & Rockingham County
Serving Harrisonburg and Rockingham County
- Community Foundation of the Dan River Region
Serving Danville and Pittsylvania County
- Community Foundation of the New River Valley
Serving the cities of Auburn, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Galax, and Radford and the counties of Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Montgomery, and Pulaski
- Community Foundation of the Virginias, Inc.
Serving Bland and Tazewell Counties
- Community Foundation of the Rappahannock River
Serving the city of Fredericksburg and the counties of Caroline, King, George, Spotsylvania, and Stafford
- Community Foundation of Western Virginia
Serving Western Virginia
- The Greater Lynchburg Community Foundation
Serving the city of Lynchburg and the counties of Appomattox, Bedford, and Campbell
- Hampton Roads Community Foundation
Serving the cities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Virginia Beachand the Isle of Wight County
- Northern Piedmont Community Foundation
Serving the counties of Culpeper, Fauquier, and Rappahannock
- Peninsula Community Foundation of Virginia
Serving the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg and the counties of James City and York
- Southeast Virginia Community Foundation
Serving the cities of Portsmouth, Hampton Roads, and the Tidewater area
- Suffolk Foundation
Serving the city of Suffolk
If you are not a resident of Virginia, search for community foundations in your state here.
Smithfield Foundation Scholarship
The Smithfield Foundation is proud to provide educational scholarships to the dependent children and grandchildren of full-time and retired employees of Smithfield Foods. Employees must have worked with the company a minimum of 18 months for their dependent child or grandchild to be eligible.Smithfield Foundation Scholarship Application