Prospective International Students
Interested in becoming a student at Hampden-Sydney? Apply now!
Visit the Study in Virginia Website to find out what it is like to live and go to school in Virginia.
Visit the Study in the States Website to guide you through the process of becoming a student in the United States.
New International Students
Welcome! We look forward to meeting you soon. We want to help you make a smooth transition to studying in the United States, so please do not hesitate to contact us with your questions.
Both the International Student Orientation and New Student Orientation are mandatory for all new International students. The International Student Orientation usually begins two days earlier than the orientation for all new students and is designed to address concerns specific to International students. During these two days, the College will provide you with important information about maintaining your visa status, campus employment oppotunities, and other issues related to living and studying at Hampden-Sydney College.
Department of State, Visas
Questions about the visa process at Hampden-Sydney?
Contact the Director of Global Education:
Current International Students
You have joined an elite group of men to study at this highly-ranked institution. Founded in 1775, the College is rich in history and heritage and is the 10th oldest college in the United States. We hope that you enjoy your time here! If you have any questions after reviewing the information on this website, please contact the director.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tuition and Other School Fees
Contact: Marianne Catron, Student Accounts Manager
Phone: (434) 223-6223
Information about F-1 Visas
I-20 forms will be issued to students wishing to apply for an F-1 visa and must remain current.
International students on non-immigrant visas (such as the F-1 visa) are required to purchase a Mandatory International Plan offered by the College. Students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the College insurance. To print out your UnitedHealthCare ID card, create an account on the First Student webpage (left side of page): http://www.firststudent.com/school_detail/need-id-card-hampden-sydney-college/
Maintaining your legal status while enrolled at Hampden-Sydney College
- Students must maintain full-time enrollment with a minimum of 12 hours each semester; a reduced course load is permitted in special cases. Contact the Office of Global Education for more information.
- Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Hold a valid I-20 form and passport at all times while in the U.S.
Travel outside of the United States and reentry
- Obtain travel endorsement on I-20 from Office of Global Education before leaving the United States.
- Obtain visa to destination country if necessary.
- Have valid U.S. visa in passport at the time of re-entry.
Extension of stay
- Students may obtain an extension if more time is needed to finish their program of study or start a new program.
- Request an extension of your I-20 before your current I-20 expires.
Lost or Stolen Visas
It is important to contact your country's embassy immediately if you suspect that your passport has been lost or stolen.
Renewing Your Passport
An international passport can be renewed in the U.S. through the Embassy of your country of citizenship.
Working while a student
As a student in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, students may not work on campus more than 20 hours a week when college is in session. To work on campus students must obtain a social security number. Students with F-1 visas are not allowed to work off campus.
Where to look for on-campus job openings
- Human Resources Office
- Contact professors directly
- Contact administrative offices directly
Documents Required for Employment
- Employment application (available from Human Resources Office)
- Social Security card (see Human Resources Office for procedures)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (distributed by Human Resources)
- W-4 Tax Withholding Certificate (distributed by Human Resources)
- State Tax Withholding Certificate (distributed by Human Resources)
- I-94 Card
- SEVIS I-20
Other Useful Information
Help with Rhetoric/English
Contact Dr. Schooling
- International Club Website
- ISI's Mental Health Awareness for International Students Video
- ISI's Sexual Assault Awareness for International Students Video
Last updated: June 18, 2020